Have leftover banana's? Tired of a standard banana bread? This predicament made me switch it up and re-imagine a classic recipe! Bananas, walnuts, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and a flaky muffin dough make this morning staple a hit at the breakfast table.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 3 small, ripe bananas or 2 large ones
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter or lien your muffin baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder. Using a pastry blender cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the walnuts and stir.
- In a mixer bowl, add the bananas, milk, eggs and vanilla, and mix for a few seconds. Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and using a spatula mix everything until flour is moistened, but don’t worry the batter will be lumpy.
- Spoon the muffin batter equally into the muffin cups.
- Place the muffins in the oven. Bake them for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.