1/4 c sugar
2 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp kosher salt
1 c warm water (110 degrees F)
3 c AP flour
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Combine the water, sugar and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top. Allow the mix to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam.
2. Once the mix has foamed add in the flour and oil.
3. Using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined. Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl.
4. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let it rest in a warm place for about an hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 half-sheet pans with parchment paper and lightly brush with the vegetable oil. Set aside.
6. Turn the dough out onto a slightly oiled work surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a 12-inch rope.
7. Make a U-shape with the rope, holding the ends of the rope, cross them over each other and press onto the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel. Place onto the parchment-lined half sheet pan. Using an egg wash (50% egg and 50% water) brush each pretzel and sprinkle kosher salt on top.
8. Bake until dark golden brown in color, approximately 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.