Sweet Potato Biscuits
2 1/2 c all-purpose flour , plus more for dusting
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
8 tbsp (1 stick) cold butter , cut into small pieces
1/4 c vegetable shortening
3/4 c cooked, mashed sweet potato
4 tbsp milk
2 tbsp butter , melted
1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut cold butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, combine sweet potato and 4 tablespoons milk.
2. Add to the flour mixture and stir just until a soft dough forms and pulls away from sides of bowl. On a lightly floured surface, gather dough into a ball and knead 3 times, just until smooth.
3. With a floured rolling pin, roll dough into 3/4-inch-thick disc. With a floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out biscuit rounds.Gently gather dough scraps and re-roll; cut out more rounds.
4. Arrange biscuits 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Brush with melted butter.
5. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until bottoms brown.
Adapted from Oprah.