Over the past week it was my close friends birthday, not sure what to get him, I knew I would have to make him a cake he would swoon over!
Vanilla on Vanilla Cake!
6 c cake flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp table salt
2 c milk
1 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
4 c sugar
8 large eggs, at room temperature
1. Preheat the oven to 350°
2. In a large bowl, whisk the cake flour with the baking powder and salt. In a measuring cup, combine the milk and vanilla. In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat at medium speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions. At low speed, beat in the dry and wet ingredients in 3 alternating batches.
3. Spread the batter evenly between 2 circle baking cake pans. Bake for about 40 minutes, just until springy; shift the pans halfway through for even baking. Let the cakes cool completely in the pans.
1 1/2 c unsalted butter, room temperature
1 lb (4 c) confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. With an electric mixer, beat butter on medium-high speed until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes.
2. Reduce speed to medium. Add the confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as needed; after every two additions, raise speed to high and beat 10 seconds to aerate frosting, then return to medium-high. This process should take about 5 minutes. Frosting will be very pale and fluffy.
3. Add vanilla, and beat until frosting is smooth. If not using immediately, frosting can be refrigerated up to 10 days in an airtight container. Before using, bring to room temperature, and beat on low speed until smooth again, about 5 minutes.